Creating, collecting & recycling textiles & papercrafts. I love preserving the past for the future.

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Some wedding photos and other nostalgia


My paternal grandmother, aged 18 weeks.
She was born in Rossland, Canada 1919

Here she is aged 4
Bit of snow here...
This is an un-known event to me as I live in Australia.
My grandmother came to Australia on the ship Aorangi with her parents and 3 siblings in 1934.
They thought the depression would not be so hard in Australia.
My great grandfather had been born in Australia and left at about age 18 to see the world, ended up in Canada. Joined the Canadian army during WW1, met his future wife in England, married as soon as the war was over and they went to Canada to live.

My grandmother in Canada
Wonder what happened to the lovely doll and pram?

My grandmother with her father and brother
Just a little bit of snow!

My grandmother and her brother at London Zoo in a Llama Cart

A lovely family portrait of my grandmother (the eldest) and her siblings.
Taken in Mt Isa, Queensland, Australia.
I was talking to my great aunty (youngest one in this photo) and she said my grandmother's dress was full length. Port wine colour over a satin lining. Sounds so pretty, wish it was in colour.

My handsome grandfather
married my grandmother above in 1937

                         My grandparents at Cloudland Ballroom
Brisbane, Queensland

         My grandmother pushing my father in a pram
         with her  mother and little sister, about 1938

My grandmother holding a koala with
her mother pushing my father in pram

My grandparents with my father
1938

Grandma with my Dad
at The Murgon Show
1939

                                    My grandparents during WW2
My Pop was in the Royal Australian Airforce.

My grandmother with my father and his younger brother
WW2

Just about the end of WW2
By now my father had a baby sister

                                   My grandparents at a wedding.
Probably in the 1950's

My paternal grandparents standing with my Dad and my maternal grandparents beside my Mum at their wedding.
7th May 1960

                              My grandparents on my wedding day
19th March 1983
 
Here I am with hubby and both sets of grandparents on our wedding day
1983
 
This is a comparison photo of my parent's wedding and mine.
I wore my mother's wedding dress.
I am quite a bit taller than my Mum so my hoop was not as big as hers.
I think hers looked much lovlier.
I used her veil as well but not the garland as it was too little for my head
so I had a sort of pill box hat with veil made
and Mum's veil attached at the back.
1960 and 1983
                           My grandparents with me and my daughter
1985
Don't you love my perm? LOL What a blast!!

Grandma at her surprise 70th Birthday Party
pictured with the cake I made her
1989

My grandfather with my daughter at my brother's wedding
1990
I hope you've enjoyed walking down memory lane with me today.
Just love family history and old photos.
Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting my blog.





12 comments:

  1. Ellen Elizabeth,I so enjoyed your post. I love old photo's and family history. Yours is so interesting Fancy your Great Grandfather doing the rounds and his family ending up back here. So interesting. I love those old prams and the fashion. Women dressed so elegantly, even to go for a walk. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible POST my sweet friend. I LOVE your PERM and seeing all the amazing photos of your family. A blessing.

    Yesterday I bought a Grandmother book at the thrift store. It's a compilation of short stories written by random women about their grandmothers. I'm going to blog about it. Incredible little find.

    I want you to KNOW you blessed me today. YOU DID. God sent you to me!

    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments have warmed my heart Rebecca. Thanks for making my day.

      Delete
  3. These photos are fabulous! So great to have them to pass on and keep your family history alive.
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos!! I have a wall of old black and white photos of my parents, grandparents and of myself as a baby. Thanks for coming by page. Looking forward to your posts. Your new follower from Moving Forward,

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old photos and you have such grand ones. Blogging is a great way to leave future generations so much family info. Thank you so much for sharing these memories with us. Have a restful night and a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you have all these lovely old photos! I'd like that pram myself!!! lol

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ellena Elizabeth. I've been thinking about you. The last E-mail you sent back in April mentioned an upcoming trip to the hospital. I was hoping all went well. Today is the first low-keyed day I've had all summer, so I was going through old blog e-mails. In the process I connected with your lovely blog. Love the vintage photos of your grandparents and parents, as well as your wedding photos. Blessings, Phyllis of Relevant Tea Leaf blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your warm wishes Phyllis. I should have had the operation by now, it was called off at the last minute. Latest now is trying again for this Tuesday the 28th August. Aren't vintage photos special, I don't care whose they are I love looking at them all.

      Delete
    2. Will say a prayer that surgery is successful and recovery is swift. ~ Phyllis

      Delete
  8. You are so lucky to have all these wonderful pictures of your grandparents. So much family history and I'm sure they'll be enjoyed for many generations. What a treat to be able to wear your mother's wedding dress....still looks so stylish even after all the years in between. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about you, Ellena Elizabeth. I know your surgery date has come and gone, and now you're in the process of recovering. I hope the surgery was successful, and you have a full [and speedy] recovery. Sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete